Visitors & Immigrants to Canada
from Ralph Vandervoort
Check these facts. Some of them could affect You:
A stay in a Canadian hospital could cost up to $3,000/day. Premiums range from $2.08/day to $5.87/day for someone age 50.
- Visitors from another country are not entitled to Canada's provincial health care system. Any medical bills incurred (including pregnancy) must be paid for by the individual. To ensure your visit is 100% worry free, take protection with emergency health insurance for Visitors to Canada.
- Many Canadian schools and daycare facilities require children to have health insurance before they may attend.
- Some insurance companies will not accept your application for private insurance if you have been in Canada for more than 5 days. Consider applying before you enter the country.
- Once a landed immigrant in Canada applies for government health insurance, it takes approximately 90 days to process.
- Once you have obtained provincial health care coverage, supplementary plans are available to cover any new illness or injury the provincial plan does not.
- Special health insurance covering new illnesses or accidents is available for students, visitors, or new immigrants allowing for temporary trips outside Canada.
- Once you are a landed immigrant and have lived in Canada at least 6 months you are eligible to apply for life insurance. Premiums range from $1.60/day to $4.20/day for someone under age 50. Rates increase with age.
For further information see also the pages on Traveller's Insurance, Health & Dental Plans, Life & Disability Coverage.